04 April 2006

Two encounters

C. and I ran across a lady I hadn’t seen in years. She’d got fed up with our church and had moved on after 15 years of on-and-off investment. There were reasons. Her life was falling apart and we couldn’t fix it or even make it better.

She’s ok now. Separated from her husband, working seven days a week, feeling needed by those she works for. She’s honestly happier. She’s got life by the tail.

Since I don’t feel threatened anymore, I asked her where she “worships”. She said she’d just left a church after 5 years and was now attending an English-speaking church near her place.

She doesn’t speak English. Well, not much. But since she’s so solidly grounded in faith, who needs the teaching? She’s got it all down. (Her words.)

I think she’s grown. I remember her despising all of our English activities.

No lie, 5 minutes later we ran across another old friend whose son used to be a member (and good friend). She hardly recognized me. Said I’d aged. She asked where my hair had gone. “I really wouldn’t have recognized you had it not been for C.”

Tomorrow I’ll stay indoors and work on my sermon and wrinkles.

4 Comments:

At 16:47, Blogger Thurman8er said...

How much does it cost to air mail a jar of Oil of Olay?

 
At 16:54, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Interesting how the "big" stuff doesn't bother me much. I'm usually expecting it and have braced myself for it. It's the little hits like you took yesterday that throw me off. Glad you're stronger than I! Just remember my comment in your previous b'day blog...you'll always seem "20 something" in my head.

 
At 18:38, Blogger cwinwc said...

Randy's right! Your "old friend" needs glasses or perhaps you're ascribing to the same "blog pic rules" as (you know I love you Greg) Greg.

I would recommend sending all of your blog pals some of that fine "Swiss Chocolate" to make you feel better.

 
At 20:03, Blogger Thurman8er said...

From what I've heard, the doctors over there are renowned for certain types of surgery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home