25 March 2006

Doctor visit

Odd day today. A fever and chills kept me in bed yesterday.
--
When I see my doctor we have to get reacquainted each time, since I only go in for a yearly tuberculosis test (so I can do the kids’ camp in France). That’s ok by me. But there are major differences between medical visits in Lausanne and those I used to have in Fresno:
  • Here, I walk to the doctor’s office.
  • All of the magazines in the waiting room are in French, but they have exactly the same covers as those in American waiting rooms.
  • The doctor only makes me wait a maximum of 15 minutes.
  • I don’t have to sit in the examination room alone and naked for another 15 minutes. Normally, we are in the doctor’s office. And I’m not naked.
  • It is actually cheaper to see a doctor here than there. But I have to pay everything (by post) before getting reimbursed by insurance.
The biggest difference between Fresno and Lausanne is that 21 years ago, all the Fresno doctors were old men. Here, they all look like teenagers, and they seem to be surprised that I’m in good health.

Have a heathly/ful weekend.

4 Comments:

At 08:07, Blogger pdb3z said...

Wow. I have the opposite experience. My doctor is always surprised at my languished physique, given my young age and sunny disposition. I always wait for an exorbitant amount of time and have spent over $3,000 (3,930 CHF) over the last three years on doctors and surgeries, all while dealing with a most difficult insurance system.

Maybe I should start wearing a snowcap and zipped-to-the-chin fleece all the time...

 
At 21:25, Blogger The Raabs said...

Strange - all the magazines here are in Dutch!
Sean and I went just last week - we went at 8 a.m. because he opens at 8:30 and we wanted to be the first ones. We weren't. We got in at 9:15 and were fnially home just before 10. Our doctor likes to talk.

 
At 02:07, Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Strange, but all the magazines here are in English, and I still don't understand them.

I hope you are feeling better.

Peace,

Gnade

 
At 15:36, Blogger cwinwc said...

I always look for a doctor with small hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home