16 March 2006

March 15

25 years ago yesterday a timid preacher wannabe couldn’t get up the courage to ask out a certain young lady. Easter break had just started, and like good Christians, my roommate, his fiancée and I attended Sunday night service at Highland in Abilene. About a thousand people were present. When my roommate to whom I will forever be grateful saw my not-yet-known-to-be future wife (NYKTBFW), he said we wouldn’t leave that sanctuary until I’d asked her out. After worship, with only 7 of us still lingering in that sacred hall, my roommate finally gave in. He asked her out for me.

He also loaned me 5 bucks. We all went to Long John Silver’s and ate a healthful meal of deep fried fish and deep fried shrimp and deep fried hushpuppies and cabbage disguised as coleslaw. Roommate and fiancée suggested I accompany NYKTBFW to her place in her car. They’d pick me up there. While waiting on her front porch ten minutes later, they drove buy honking. Deserted, I got invited in. We silently watched the end of Dr. Zivalgo with her roommate. I then walked home.

Every March 15 Wife fries fish, home-makes hushpuppies, grates cabbage for coleslaw, and we remember our first March 15 together.

7 Comments:

At 16:25, Blogger Thurman8er said...

What an enormous debt we owe some of our friends, huh? Happy anniversary!

 
At 17:22, Blogger cwinwc said...

What about the Dr.Zivalgo connection and you two ending up in Europe? How about that for some Long John Silver's karma?

Happy anniversary Brady. Enjoy the coleslaw.

 
At 17:33, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

What a sweet story! It's amazing that we think we've known each other for so long, and yet there's so much we don't know!
Happy Anniversary!

 
At 17:37, Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Beautiful, lovely, sweet. Congratulations.

So, there is no Long John Silvers in Switzerland? How backwards!

Peace,

BG

 
At 22:58, Blogger The Raabs said...

What a great story. Interesting that she didn't know that she would be stbbmg (soon-to-be-brady's-married-gal) which is what the word verification verifies.

 
At 23:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNEW you owed my five bucks! Finally the truth emerges!
And... happy anniversary.
-brent

 
At 19:15, Blogger Brady said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home