06 April 2006

Big Mac Index

Some people think that just because you live in Switzerland, you are their source for unlimited amounts of chocolate, that the streets are paved in black chocolate, the walls are mortared in white chocolate, and that pralines are for the taking at each crosswalk.

Of course, Europeans know that Americans are the world’s source for unlimited numbers of hamburgers. And they ARE right. You drive by a busy street corner in Centerville, USA and there’s a BK on one corner, a McDonald’s on another, a Wendy’s just across the street and 12 Starbucks within spitting distance. (I know… They don’t sell burgers.)

I bring this up because of the Economist’s Big Mac Index, a faulty tool that measures currency parity between different countries. FYI, you pay $4.93 for a Big Mac in Switzerland verses $3.15 for the same tasty burger in the USA. This year, we took the lead for the most expensive fast food in the solar system (though Iceland and Norway are not on this year’s list, but I’m not sure they count as part of our solar system).

I love Lausanne, but it is expensive. We deeply appreciate our partners in ministry who generously help us out. Thanks.

2 Comments:

At 14:37, Blogger cwinwc said...

My Father-in-Law (F)who is full blooded Hungarian will be proud to know that on his next visit to Hungary, he can buy a Big Mac at bargin prices.

Side Bar -
My in-laws visited relatives in Hungary for the first time a couple of years ago. Although F grew up in a home where Hungarian was spoken exclusively, he was a bit rusty so he was hoping that his relatives spoke some English.

Upon their return from their trip, I asked F about his family's use of the English Language. His response was, "They speak better English in Hungary than the people do at the Miami International Airport."

 
At 19:30, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

You're a tough read when trying to watch your weight and calorie intake! Reading your blog for me today was like an alcoholic going to a bar for a diet coke. Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to get me a hamburger and some chocolate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home