04 January 2006

Do you believe in resolutions?

A once-upon-a-time-good friend from Morges, Switzerland used to listen every December 31 to U2’s New Year’s Day:
And so we are told this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage.
Though I want to be with you,
To be with you night and day.
Nothing changes on New Year’s Day.
The song echoes the opinion that, try as you might, nothing changes, even on New Year’s Day.

Another snappy (love that word!) tune on my Mac is by Carolyn Arends.
I buy a lot of diaries
Fill them full of good intentions
Each and every New Year's Eve
I make myself a list
All the things I'm gonna change
Until January 2nd…
Poor Carolyn… But she keeps singing…
So this time I'm making one promise…

Chorus: This will be my resolution
Every day is New Year's Day. (repeat)

One more chance to start all over
One more chance to change and grow
One more chance to grab a hold of grace
And never let it goooooo… (Repeat chorus until you believe it…)
I know I desire for change in my own life: Less anger; more love, thankfulness and contentedness; greater devotion. And I know it’s possible, despite disenchanted lyrics.

For the Spirit does say that we ARE being transformed…

4 Comments:

At 14:23, Blogger cwinwc said...

Our God is a God of change and forgiveness when we don't.
yjvowjp (yj vowing to jp)

 
At 16:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done Brady. I can hear you singing! Take it again from the ohdjbb.

 
At 18:21, Blogger The Raabs said...

So good to know that those resolutions aren't restricted to New Year's Day!I do it every day. Otherwise we would all be nlzlggte.

 
At 18:35, Blogger cwinwc said...

Greg - Knowing our "advanced age" would that be the hair on top of your head or the other kind of hair that we don't want but can't stop growing?
And this from aka Hairy Rascal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home