24 December 2005

2005 Books

I’m going to mention the few books I read in 2005 that I’ll probably read again (or already read twice this year). There aren’t 10. There in no specific order:
Come to the Table by John Mark Hicks. Subtitle: Revisioning the Lord’s Supper.

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. A recent defense of Christian spirituality.

Life on the Ash Heap by Jim McGuiggan. Deals with suffering from Job. VERY GOOD.

A Theology of the Social Gospel by Walter Rauschenbusch. Written in 1917. All theology seen (rightly or wrongly) through the lens of social justice.

The Shaping of things to Come by Michael Frost, Alan Hirsch. Not all chapters are equally good. But some are too good.

The Message. “Translation” by Peterson. 9 pages a day and it’s finished in a year.

The Quiet American by Graham Greene. A novel set in Vietnam, written in 1955. Did LBJ ever read it?
Of course, I’d be negligent if I didn’t mention your blogs which tend to lighten up my day, often make me think and, from time to time, make me want to visit a Costco on Christmas Eve.

Enjoy the day…

5 Comments:

At 14:48, Blogger cwinwc said...

Thanks for the list Brady. My list would fall in the less than 5 catagory. Early New Year's Resolution to increase that number.

Christmas shopping done! No Christmas Eve visits to Costco, Sam's, or B.J. Wholesale Club for this "ice-scraperless boy."
Time to enjoy a bottle of agbnbhm!

 
At 18:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to get the jump on the rest of us. This is weird, Beth just got off the phone with you guys. Merry Christmas!

Let us know when the nqhwi arrrives.

 
At 20:23, Blogger Thurman8er said...

I've decided to keep a notepad (one of my new shiny ANGELS notepads that Santa gave me) next to my computer this week. That way I can write down all of the book suggestions I see and add to my growing pile.

I'm pretty sure that the foundation of my house is weakest under my enormous stack of books.

Still, I love the anticipation of a new read. I finished a book last night and realized that half of my euphoria came from the finish and the other half came from the excitement of deciding what to start next.

I'll set my list to blog sometime this week.

 
At 19:20, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Judy, I hope you never get anywhere through with that. It sounds awesome.

 
At 07:20, Blogger Keith Davis said...

I am reading "the Shaping of Things to Come" right now. What an eye-opening experieince!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home