11 December 2005

Sunday in Ternopil

The oldest member of the church arrived first this morning. She's 90, according to Vlodya. Most of the members come in quietly, all bundled up (it's heated inside but still about 60 degrees). I don't know why the older women cover their heads, but it's true that everyone wears a hat outside. It's an unwritten Ukrainian rule, I think. Anyway, we stand to pray. We stand to take the Lord's Supper (Cecil: I was pleased to see the table at the front in its rightful place!) People listen attentively.

Then I gave an exhortation on eating in the presence of God. Worship is a serious matter here, especially the Lord's Supper. So we studied through some of the celebration passages and the joy we have being in the presence of the Lord. Just a little information to compliment their deep faith. Children finish the 2 hour worship with a play where "the tongue" is put on trial. (I think he was guilty, but I don't speak the Ukrainian tongue...)

The Ukrainians I know are extremely hospitible. The first time our kids came with us to Ukraine, they couldn't believe how people who LESS than they did could be so generous. The only way to give something to one of the Christians was to do it the first day. If not, they would load you down with gifts.

In fact, in two minutes, I will sit down to a real home cooked Ukrainian meal. The fellowship will be good. In fact, it promises to be the plat de resistance.

Thanks for stopping by.

4 Comments:

At 16:47, Blogger Thurman8er said...

And I think I'm getting a fresh worship experience when I attend a church gathering in a different city.

 
At 18:21, Blogger cwinwc said...

Brady, Having worshipped with a "table front" (tongue in cheek) church is a bit disconcerting to me.

Of course indicating that we should be celebrative (tongue in both cheeks - is that possible?)as we approach Communion would get you uninvited to Bible Camp.

That's what happened to the Teen Week Speaker this past summer when he indicated the very same at an earlier youth rally.

Was Jesus in error when he said in Matthew 26, "...I go to celebrate (NIV) the Passover."

It sounds like all of the "tables" you sat at were a blessing for you. Keep the reports coming.

And by the way, how about passing some of that Ukrainian lthgxglx.

 
At 21:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just curious about what language or cultural barriers you encounter between your Swiss experience and your Ukraine experience?

 
At 06:47, Blogger Keith Davis said...

I love the thought of people celebrating Jesus all over this planet. It is also exciting to here about those celebrating His death till He comes!

God bless you in this ministry!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home