09 December 2005

Ternopil, Ukraine

I’m flying Saturday morning to Ukraine. After meeting up with people in Kiev, it’ll be the night train to Ternopil in western Ukraine (NOT Chernobyl, though they do rhyme). There will be opportunities to teach and preach for the entire week, before coming back to Lausanne on Saturday.

My first visit to Ternopil was in Jan-Feb 1991. Wife’s dad and I drove for 4 days to get there. Terrible roads. No gas. Lots of pickles. Snow 6 feet high on each side of the road in the Carpathian mountains. When we arrived in Ternopil, all the apartments looked exactly the same: dirty-grey in the foggy light of the setting sun. But we found a distant relative and worshiped with a house church that Sunday. They graciously asked Wife’s dad and me to preach. They listened intently and asked many questions, stuffed us with food and asked more questions. Later we visited, it seemed like, every local city official and made plans for the future.

We were both struck by the spiritual thirst of the women. And yes, they continue to be the backbone of the church of Christ in that community.

3 Comments:

At 16:36, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Safe trip, my friend. I can't wait to find out what the Spirit has in store for you.

 
At 19:24, Blogger cwinwc said...

I envy you on this trip. I love Europe. How refreshing it would be to be among people who thirst for the Word, knowledge, and grace.

I think this is a Carroll Osburn story - A heated discussion was taking place at a church over the question of women serving Communion. In the course of the discussion, a little old lady speaks up and makes a statement concerning women serving communion. She says, "It's the only meal we don't serve around here."

 
At 04:50, Blogger Keith Davis said...

I agree with Greg. The women are the spiritual backbone of every church I have attended and they are the strength of most families I contact with.

I think that God has placed within women the relational key to the church. I further believe that relationships are where the church will revive if she is to revive.

It is obvious from this blog that women are being used in areas where the church is not.

Hope the best for you all on this trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home