05 December 2005

Answers

O.K. Let me finally clear out my in-box with the following:

Jim McGuiggan’s site is http://jimmcguiggan.com/. I often listen to the audio as I clean out my office (when I finally get around to it). He even answers his emails. (I read his “Life on the ash heap” book on Job just a few months ago and was blessed.) My favorite line when he preaches: I’m not angry, I just sound that way! (Some preachers yell when the point is weak. Jim yells when he feels like it. Definitely NOT a screamer, though.)
--
Ascension books: Basically, the two following books are a history of Ascension theology, and both are good…
  • He Ascended into Heaven, J. G. Davies (1958). You can usually find it at Abebooks.com (great site. Ask Greg.) It was the first book written in English on the Ascension in something like 50 years.
  • Ascension and Ecclesia, Douglas Farrow, (Eerdmans, 1999). Much more in-depth than Davies. Only to read if you really want to know what everybody thought about Ascension. Not a light read, at least for me.
  • Ascension Now, Peter Atkins, (The Liturgical Press, 2001). O.K. Pretty practical and pretty short. I liked it better the second time through. Anyone can understand it though he dwells excessively on the paradox of the “absence” and the “presence” of Christ.
Just realized I really can't count…
--
Will you pray for our future? Signing for a loan for a “permanent life” with an unforeseeable financial future shakes my faith.

4 Comments:

At 19:15, Blogger Miranda and Derrick said...

Thanks for the McGuiggan link! I've met him and heard him speak at the OC lectureship, but I havent been able to read one of his books yet. Reading a ton of books that are actually required for a good grade are kinda taking up my personal reading at the moment (especially the 6 Jane Austen novels I had to read this semester). But I hope to read one of Jim's books some day soon. WHich book would you recommend for a college-age first time McGuiggan reader?
Also, me being a missionary's daughter and full time college student, I understand what it means to rely on God fincancially. I'm sure its even more difficcult when you get older(yea, you heard me), out of college and need to provide for a whole family....oh boy am I looking forward to that challenging part of my faith growing process. I'll be praying for you guys!
love ya!

 
At 19:27, Blogger Brady said...

Miranda, Thanks for the prayers. For McGuiggan's books, my personal favorite was called THE POWER TO SEE IT THROUGH. It was printed in somebody's attic, I think, because it had a really schmaltzy cover. But the inside was fantastic.

Howard Publishing has several others out. The book I mentioned on Job is worth reading twice. Good luck.

 
At 19:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing the way to the resources. I'm thinking more about your earlier idea of having a blog just for resources and other such material. Praying for you and for the peace of God to inhabit your decisions.

 
At 21:25, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Praying for you and your family.

Have been. Still do. Won't stop.

Thanks for the resources. It's always exciting to discover somebody new. I will never forget my brother's reaction one day when I saw me reading his favorite book. He said, "I'm so jealous! I wish I was reading it again for the first time."

etbyvbc (Vacation Bible School snacks)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home