08 October 2005

Leaving home

Son 1 got on a train this morning heading to Marseille for a year-long spiritual internship. I’ve written about his decision before. It’s just that now it’s “real” and he’s really doing what he’s been dreaming of doing for over 7 years, ever since the internship program began.

The whole departure thing reminded me of the first time I left California for ACU. I was a mess. But it was only 2 years ago that I learned that my mom cried for days after my departure (at least, that’s what she says now). She had always told me before that as soon as I drove away they took all the furniture out of my old room, burned it in the back yard, fumigated, then moved 9 month old brother into that purified space, happy to have the extra room, and praying that Sister 1 would graduate from high school early so they could have her room too.

But no. My parents were not the exception to the loving-parent rule. They were happy to see me chase after my dreams, and saddened that I was absent, knowing that the rest of their lives they’d always be saying good-bye and waiting for all-too-infrequent reunions. The same way that Wife and I feel about Son 1 today.

Thanks for stopping by. Do pray for the boy.

5 Comments:

At 16:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing more about Jordan and how he is doing in Marseille. This is an exciting time for him. Regarding mom being sad when you left for college, that's debatable, but I am sure I was sad, even at 9 months.

 
At 16:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the experience of arriving at college. My parents and I unloaded everything into my dorm room. Said our good bye's and I sat there on my bed in silence thinking now what?

Prayers are being lifted up for you all.

 
At 17:48, Blogger Thurman8er said...

You were the lucky one. Some of us were stuck here on the "boo hoo" end of things. Sheesh.

I'm trying to imagine two things. First, what I will feel like when James leaves home for the first time. Second, what your parents are feeling seeing a GRANDson leave home to serve the Lord. You are right about children being our greatest legacy. I'm sure that your mom and dad are bursting with pride over what you have done and what Jordan is doing.

 
At 18:49, Blogger cwinwc said...

May God bless your son as he begins this next phase of his life.
I'll be facing the same point in my life in about 2 years. Hang in there and good job Dad.

 
At 20:31, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I can't imagine, although, very soon, I will experience it. Being an adopted person, I never realized what it meant to have a "blood of my blood, bone of my bone" person in my household. It didn't really matter...until Ashley came along. It will be a big chunk of loss. And yet, it's exactly the way things should be.

Praying for Jordan, and you all at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home