30 September 2005

A good reason to hate him

This weekend in Lyons, France I’ll be giving a seminar on Job called “Lessons from suffering.” While reading away in the first chapters of that book, (the ones I kind of understand), I found a couple of good reasons (among others) to hate The Accuser.

One: The Accuser takes what is good, loving and perfect and turns it black by questioning motives. Unlike God, The Accuser is unable to see the hearts of people, or at least unable to assign anything positive to people’s motivations. God sees Job as full of integrity, justice and goodness. The Accuser sees him as a selfish follower, in it for what he can get. I hate that.

Two: The Accuser says that Job loved his own skin more than the lives of his 10 precious children. What a liar! It’s a sick society, an inhumane place, where fathers love their own lives more than those of their children. But, once again, The Accuser is blind, and can’t see the truth, and slanders a dad. And I hate that.

For some reason, God could put up with him. But I really don’t want The Accuser around my place. I can’t stand him…

5 Comments:

At 16:50, Blogger cwinwc said...

I think most people would aggree with your "dislike" of the Accuser. The sad fact is despite our hate for the Accuser, sometimes we "invite" him into our life anyway. Perhaps Paul was agonizing over that fact in Romans 7?

 
At 17:53, Blogger Thurman8er said...

I read somewhere that over half of Calvin's sermons were directly or indirectly based on Job. You can never exhaust that book.

I actually like your use of the word "hate" here. I've always felt that if the Bible tells us that God hates certain things, then its okay for me to hate some things too...certainly the Accuser is number one on that list.

 
At 18:20, Blogger Brady said...

We certainly leave the door open to him. Don't you hate that? I've never read Swindoll's book on Job. I enjoyed the chapters that John Mark Hicks wrote (but I loaned that book to someone and I don't remember who… If you've got it…) and I enjoyed Jim McGuiggan's book on it too, called Life on the Ash heap. It's really fun reading and thought provoking.

So Calvin was a *Job* junkie? Maybe that explains the Protestant *work" ethic. (Get it?) umlcxdbs

 
At 18:27, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

As someone I consider very calm, it is interesting to see into your heart the wave of disgust you have for the "Accuser".

And, in a world of political correctness, it's good to hear from you (and Steve) that you hate something. That used to be hard for me to say...easier just to ignore it than to acknowledge it and have to deal with him...

 
At 17:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's this distaste, anger (and yes even hate) which should propel us away from the accuser of the brothers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home