22 September 2005

Show the house

The house belonging to Wife’s parents went on the market on Tuesday. So we’ve been cleaning it up, getting things sorted and sold for the last four months.

The phone has been ringing off the hook since Tuesday. I dropped by the house this afternoon to clean the terrace and FOUR people came by to look at the place, and we’re not even showing it yet. They had free reign as far as checking out the outside of the place (the GARDEN in British English). Monday is the open house.

It was interesting to see people’s reactions. For example, some of the people complained saying there was too much shade. Now, in a country where there is no air conditioning, I found that pretty funny. I’d WANT shade.

One was a couple with two miniscule kids. While I was on the roof, they actually came near me and said the house was exactly what they wanted, did they need to make a offer OVER the asking price or BELOW it, and would we like to receive some money under the table so as to keep from paying taxes on it.

I answered “A” and NO.

Is it a ploy? Is this part of the buying strategy? To say that the house is exactly what you want and say the kids will actually love living in a place like that? Do you sell to the sun lovers or the family with kids?

We need words of wisdom…

2 Comments:

At 23:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The offer of additional gifts and incentives is quite common in the market here. As far as the under the table stuff . . . ah the Swiss financial mind!

Go with the ones who didn't complain!

 
At 17:34, Blogger cwinwc said...

I can't imagine asking if I should make an offer above or below the asking price. Might as well ask if you want to be paid in real or Monoply money. I did have a friend tell me that you will typically sell your home when the timing is at the worst possible moment for you. Having sold one home that prediction came true for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home