20 September 2005

Comptoir Suisse

If you walk up the hill about a kilometer (.6 miles, Randy) you’ll find the convention center which is the site of the Comptoir Suisse (the Swiss Fair). It lasts for 10 days and makes parking really difficult.

It used to be that the Comptoir was the Swiss answer to the USA shopping mall. Most shops were mom and pops and every object had its own shop. But at the fair, EVERYTHING was together. You could check out a sewing machine, buy a coat, spy out the whirlpool baths, see the latest in electronics and fill your wine cellar ALL IN THE SAME PLACE.

Now, we do have malls, so everyday is the fair. Yippee. They’re not COSTCO, which is about as close to the Swiss Fair as you can get (yes, you can buy Polish sausages at the Swiss Fair), but you can buy milk and a micro-wave in the same place now.

There is something magical about the Fair. Nowhere else do those slicer-dicers look so good as the fair. The knives are sharper, the food processors more powerful, the coffee-machines more expressoed, the magic cards more slight-of-hand, the vacuums more full of suck… And the folks who demonstrate the machines are never more persuasive than during Fair week. Just tell one of them “you want to think about it…”

But I’m always ready for it to be over so I can get my parking space back.

3 Comments:

At 15:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's one thing we need is vacuums more full of suck!

The event sounds like fun. I do understand the importance of parking. Costco around Christmas is a whole different beast than Costco yesterday.

osjgle

 
At 16:56, Blogger Thurman8er said...

The only thing I ever want to know about our fairs is: who is going to perform? Last year it was the Newsboys. Yes. This year it's Third Day. No.

By the way, I'm a big fan of the book/cd/dvd aisle at CostCo. Nothing like a hardbound book for $13.00.

kdbgs (heh)

 
At 17:04, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I love Costco (and the Fair) but stay away from both if I need to watch my pennies. I went to Costco one year on Christmas Eve...yes, you heard me right, CHRISTMAS EVE...just for a cheesecake. It was a blonde moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home