26 September 2005

Father-son retreat

I’m going back to the future on this post, written on the 28th but dated the 26th. We’ve been busy recuperating from stuff: Selling a house, a weekend retreat, and selling a house.

The weekend was a father-son retreat in the Ardeche area of France. Son 2 had really wanted to go even though I knew there would be few people there, and I hate missing Sundays in Lausanne. But Son 2 prevailed, so on Friday afternoon both the Sons and I made the 4.5-hour drive to Ardeche to be with 3 other fathers and their sons.

Let’s rewind. The real reason I didn’t want to go is because I was afraid of confrontation. I was dreading the special one-on-one session (actually, one-on-two session) where the boys would give me my father evaluation. You know, the no holds barred, straight-from-the-heart, you’re-the-reason-I’m-a-serial-killer and why-didn’t-you-ever-teach-me-to-paraglide confrontation.

But if you know our boys, you know they are merciful, especially to their dad. The one-on-two’s were rich. The afternoon activity where we hiked alone and had a scavenger hunt was great, writing a prayer on the summit of the local mountain… and the Sunday worship unforgettable.

Children are a blessing. I know we can break their hearts at times, and they can break ours, but our Father knew what he was doing when he put us in a family and gave us love that covers a whole multitude of “stuff”.

Thanks for reading.

3 Comments:

At 15:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serial killers notwithstanding . . .

Psalm 127:3-5 (NCV) Children are a gift from the LORD; babies are a reward. Children who are born to a young man are like arrows in the hand of a warrior.
Happy is the man who has his bag full of arrows. They will not be defeated when they fight their enemies at the city gate.

 
At 16:13, Blogger Brady said...

Yes, that is one of Son 2's favorite verses. But I've always wondered if it was best to have that "quiver full" or not.

 
At 19:01, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sounds like you have a special relationship with your boys. We lived in Germany for almost 5 years when I was a young boy and my father was in the Army. I've always loved Europe and European History. Keep writing and I'll keep reading. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home