06 October 2005

Harry is here

October 1 was a big day for bookstores in Lausanne. The French version of Harry Potter VI showed up on their shelves, a little bit later than 2 months after the English and American editions. I still haven’t read it, nor volumes IV or V. Ever since Wife stopped reading them out-loud to the kids, I haven’t cracked a Rowling’s book.

Used to be that all things came out later here than in the USA. Seabiscuit was out on DVD in the USA when it came out in theatres here. It was already 2005 when MS WORD 2004 finally reached our computers. USA TODAY is really USA YESTERDAY. B-4 internet I used to have to wait till Tuesday to get the week-end American Football scores.

But now, most big releases come out at the same time all over the universe. War of the Worlds actually opened EARLY here, as did the last Star Wars, which really didn’t make either of them better movies.

Narnia posters are up everywhere, making their appearance about 6 weeks ago. I really don’t consider that a good “sign”. We are great Narnia fans, reading through them every few years, in French or English, just to keep perspective on life.

4 Comments:

At 16:16, Blogger pdb3z said...

Are you not a fan of the "global village"? Or is it the book-made-movie thing?

 
At 18:22, Blogger Brady said...

What's the "global village"? As far as books made into films (movies), I'm all for it. I just didn't think those films (movies) were very good, especially when the Martian split the church with one whack (usually it takes several whacks). In the old movie, the Martian dies outside the church with everyone huddled inside. Remember? The redeeming factor of the newer films (movies) was that I got to go with the boys, which made them more expensive but more fun, 'cause that way they could explain them to me. dvcba

 
At 19:38, Blogger Thurman8er said...

You've missed out on some good stuff in the last few Potter books. The most recent one tied events together from all of them.

I'm looking forward to the Narnia movies as well. I go through them myself every 5 years or so and I can't wait for James to be just a liiiiiittle bit older so I can start reading them to him.

 
At 04:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the Narnia movies as well. I hope it inspires my youngest to read the books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home