14 September 2005

The race

There is a foot-race series in our canton (or state, as you probably call it) that both Wife and Son 2 have been participating in. It is called “Le tour du pays de Vaud” (Zee tour of the Vaud countryside, Vaud being our canton). For the last 4 weeks, every Wednesday, they have been running up and down hills, along rivers and through the woods, clocking in about 9.5 kilometers each time.

The last race is this Friday evening when they’ll get a prize for participating in 4 of the 5 races and see their final finishing position compared to the other racers in their category. Both of them will finish in the top quarter of their divisions.

But not me. I actually did my first race 3 weeks ago. I ran along with Stephanie and didn’t slow her down too much, though she did finish a place or two lower. I took a rain check the next week and just applauded along with Son 1. Then I announced my plan for last week. Wife loves starting up front. My heart has trouble taking it what with tachycardia and all. So I told her I’d be at the back of the pack, and would catch her on the uphill section at about 2 K. Then I’d run with her, and maybe try to pick up the pace the last 2 K. Right.

At 2 K I spied her about 70 meters ahead of me. But traffic was thick and we were heading into the forest. I saw her again at 4 K, still 70 meters ahead, but we were running downhill and no one runs faster than her downhill. At 5.5 K, now about 80 meters ahead, I caught a glimpse of her shirt as we ran single file through the forest. But I was about to pass out and it was all that I could do to keep on the trail.

I actually saw her again at 8 K, about 100 meters away, but gave up trying to catch her and just tried not to throw up. I crossed the finish line 30 seconds behind her with the firm resolution to never try to catch up again. Next time, I run with her.

4 Comments:

At 17:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. I was hoping you were going to catch her.

I was somewhat distracted, though, as I had to continually refer to may calculator to comprehend the referenced distances.

I'm not very good with math so I had you passing her somewhere along the 6 fathom mark assuming you were travelling at 12 knots.

 
At 22:20, Blogger Thurman8er said...

I think I may be being baited here. Especially by Mr. "I'm not very good with math" up there. The truth is, I'm not very good at it either. I just fake it by throwing around terms like "solids of revolution" and "rationalize the numerator."

I would fall down and die somewhere around the 1 km marker.

 
At 22:29, Blogger Brady said...

OK, Randy, here you go.

2 Km is 6562 feet.

4 Km is 4374.40 yards.

5.5 Km is 273.405 chains. (Yes, chains.)

8 Km is 4.97120 miles.

I think...

 
At 21:21, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

OH BROTHER! Am I supposed to feel sorry for you my old friend? I get winded riding my stationary bike for 40 minutes watching T.V. and sipping water. I would never make it on your trail.

So glad God has given us all different trails!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home