12 September 2005

Wedding pictures

Our weekend was busy as we drove down to Marseilles and back for the wedding of one of the evangelists there with the church secretary. We had a great time. This was the second wedding that I’ve been to in that chapel. The first one I officiated 4 or so years ago on the hottest day of the then-young decade. The bride was an hour late, the walls smelled of paint (people had been painting them just that morning), there were 140 people present and only 100 seats, the bride was an hour late, my suit was so hot that my shirt was soaked and plastered to my skin and you could count the hairs on my chest. And the bride… But they’re still married and have a 2 year old kid who’s running their life.

At Saturday’s wedding I got demoted to photographer. This is funny, because just four weeks ago at a wedding in Geneva I spent a good part of the time laughing at the photographer because he was right in the middle of everything. And the bride was 45 minutes late at that wedding too, but it really didn’t matter, because it looked like the photographer was standing in for her. He was everywhere.

Anyway, they actually made a public announcement that I was the official photographer and that others could take pictures but they had to take them from a sitting position. I was like a groupie with a back-stage pass and went wherever I wanted. I took pictures during prayers and Scripture readings. I got an exemption from the singing. And yes, it was hard not to smirk at the poor souls who had to take their pictures from their seats.

So, 327 shots later, I’m back in Lausanne thinking they really should have had two official photographers. The first photos are a little shaky because I was so nervous. You know, lots of people only get married once and I didn’t want to mess up. And I’m really happy I didn’t smirk, so I can contact some of those other photographers and maybe get some of their shots.

But please don’t say anything to the newlyweds. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 23:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen a professional photographer at work and realized I don't have the dexterity or limberness to be a professional photographer.

Anyone else see or think of that Cheers episode when Norm and Cliff did Videography for a wedding?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home