08 March 2006

Tram 12

I sometimes use public transport to Geneva, biking down to the Lausanne station, a train to Geneva, a $4.00 bus pass for the days activities, riding trams from one Bible study (catechism) to another before catching the 22:36 train home.

Last night, tram 12 was only 1/3 full. The young lady in front of me was droning on in nasal tones to the young lady next to me.

Yes, I want to immigrate.(Where?) Canada will often take those of us who are handicapped. You know, besides other things, I can’t see in one eye, but I get on just fine. Sometimes I even forget that I’m handicapped. Do you have any pets? (No.) I have a dog. He’s ten years old. Do you have any children? (No. I’m not married.) Oh really? Let me tell you: You are one of the kindest people I have met. I think you are an exceptional person.

I stepped off the tram thinking that my fellow passengers had offered each other wonderful, yet simple, gifts: listening to and answering questions from a stranger who evidently doesn’t get much attention (and on a tram, no less!); sincere appreciation expressed to a listener: You are an exceptional person.

2 Comments:

At 16:34, Blogger cwinwc said...

Blessed are those who engage and listen to strangers.

 
At 19:14, Blogger Thurman8er said...

My attention is often the best gift I can give my students. It is completely free and I give it far too grudgingly. Thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home