05 February 2006

Super Bowl Monday

That’s right, a 6:PM kick-off in Detroit makes it midnight here. A minute later, well, it’s Monday “Night” Football.

This is my first year to really watch it from my Lazy-Boy. The first few years it was in b/w and “coded” on the French pay “Canal+”. No lie, I would shake my head back and forth in front of the blurry screen and could often make out the score or see, sometimes, which team had the ball.

Later, I met some Chicago fans from Jamaica and got invited to see the match direct, in English, at their place. Great fun. They had a well-stocked fridge and knew everything about football, while I knew there was a player called The Fridge and a quarterback named McMahon who didn’t host the Tonight Show.

Then it was Super-Bowl desert. I’d read about who won in the Tuesday-morning USA Today (there was no Monday edition). Yep, life in Lausanne can be tough.

Two years ago a guy from church and I camped out at Larry’s and actually watched the WHOLE game, with a short nap before work. This year “France 2” will show it and I’ll be watching (at least the beginning).

But if you still want to record it for me, I won’t say no. There are no billion-dollar commercials here, and “le quarterback court pour un touchdown… quel play!” just doesn’t make it, even if the Pittsburg quarterback has a Swiss granddad.

As usual, I pick the Angels in 4.

4 Comments:

At 15:16, Blogger The Raabs said...

You got to see it!! I was happy to finally see something about it on CNN's World Sport at 2:30 this afternoon (the Dutch radio news did ruin the surprise by telling me who had won, without any details).
Makes you just want to scream "gdjgeeax"

 
At 16:21, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Yeah, I picked the Angels too but the odds were long.

As usual, I had the game on, looking up when the commercials came on.

 
At 20:34, Blogger cwinwc said...

Did the officiating look as bad in French as it did in English?

 
At 00:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on where is your team spirit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home