24 January 2006

Last days

D. asked me to meet with his father, André, who’s in the last stages of Leukemia. We hit it off pretty well just before Christmas, and since then he’s invited me back every week to talk more about Jesus. He needs to embrace Eternal Life, yet there is much resistance.

André was an actor and was quite handsome, but now innumerable tumors cover his body. His clothes hide most of them, but about 50 cover his face and forehead. When he looks at himself, he sees death.

André defends his non-conversion by saying: “I could never be a priest or a pastor, preaching to people the Gospel.” Or: “There are some people I just can’t do good to. I just say, ‘To Hell with them!’”

Each time we set up an appointment, he tells me that he’s not sure he’s going to be “here”. The response, as kindly as possible, is: “Then why aren’t you getting ready for Eternity?”

André broke my heart today. Federer was playing Haas in the Australian Open. André was more interested in the match. I can understand being more interested in sports than in Bible study. Really, I can. But if you only had a few days to live…?

4 Comments:

At 16:19, Blogger Thurman8er said...

It's all but impossible to see that moment through the eyes of another. Of course, Andre hasn't been looking forward to getting home for as long as we have.

Keep watering the seed, brother. God was there before you were and He'll be there when you're gone.

 
At 16:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To see someone accept the idea of eternity without God breaks so many hearts - including the heart of God.

Stay the course Brady and keep speaking God's message.

 
At 19:09, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I'm sorry, Brady. True ministry work can be heart breaking. I'll pray you are able to break through. Stay the course.

 
At 22:22, Blogger cwinwc said...

I feel your pain. I have a friend at church that is dying a spiritual death. Like Andre, he would rather watch, enjoy, participate in, and live in sin than listen to me or his heart with respect to the Gospel.

Thank you for being there for Andre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home