02 February 2006

Popcorn time!

Yes, it’s February 2. Time to live out that old American Tradition, dust off the VCR and pop in one of the greatest films of All Times: Groundhog Day.

I do not feel guilty wasting time watching Bill Murray get out of bed for the zillionth time, year after year, every February 2. The “movie” is right up there with some of the great sermons of the Bible. It’s the closest thing we’ve got to a 1990’s look at Ecclesiastes.

I always try to live better after watching Phil (Bill) seek pleasure and self destruction, knowledge and service. I want to go out and buy a keyboard (“My father was a piano mover”), read the classics, learn CPR and lug a car jack (and a spare tire) around with me all day… I’m always hoping to snag a kid falling out of a tree.

No reason to parallel the writings of the Preacher and Phil Connors’ search in this blog. You can use your own imagination. But both creations end well. The Preacher declares that life is to be lived in the fear of God. And Phil? Well, he gets the girl.

Got to go. I hear the theme song starting…

Joyeux Groundhog Day!

6 Comments:

At 15:31, Blogger cwinwc said...

I love you guys. Steve with his Star Wars / Star Trek theology and now you with "Bill Murray wisdom." I love our blog family.

Another famous Murray line:

"That's the fact, Jack!"

 
At 17:03, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Joyeux Groundhog Day.

You kill me.

Amongst my many favorite Bill Murray lines:

"Correct me if I'm wrong sir, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key."

"Gophers, you idiot! Gophers!"

"Oh. I can do that. We don't even need a reason."

 
At 17:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil Connors!
I thought that was you!

This is Ned Ryerson,
my new insurance agent.

I'll say!

I have not seen this guy
for years.

He comes to me and buys whole life,
term, uniflex, fire, theft, auto,
dental, health, with the optional death and dismemberment plan, water damage. This is the best day of my life.

Mine too.

Where are we going?
Let's not spoil it.

 
At 21:35, Blogger Tim Jolly said...

Today I saw a comment from a missionary named Brady, clicked it and got a location, realized it really was that Brady, read his blog, (which I loved), saw links to other old friends, read quotes by the best man at my wedding, and now I truly feel like a man who won some kind of internet blog lotto. I'd say more, but the wealth of joy i've found needs to be further explored. And I may have to run down to Blockbuster and rent a certain movie as well.

 
At 08:50, Blogger Brady said...

Hey Tim, Hey Tracy, thanks for stopping by. It was great hearing from you. Hope Groundhog day was the best for you, with or w/o the movie.

 
At 15:40, Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Brady,

I have not seen "Groundhog Day." That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? Your love of it, as well as the love for it expressed by several of your friends, has commended it to me.

Peace,

Gnade

 

Post a Comment

<< Home