26 January 2006

Addict

I’ve known P. for several years. He has all the religious, feel-good vocabulary down. He can witness you to death. But P.’s an addict, and circumstances led to the point where he could only see his son if I was there for the hand-off between P. and his (separated) wife.

About 5 months ago he stopped talking to me. I had become his enemy. I’d expected it since often addicts aren’t too stable in their relationships. Then 2 weeks ago P. gave me a call, needing my help. “Before, you offered to take care of my finances, help me pay the bills. I want to give me my bank cards and access to my account. Will you do it?”

After several visits, a few times with the church, P. gave me his cards. But, he crashed and burned this last weekend. (Did you know you can get drugs even though you don’t have money? Pushers are good friends. They keep in contact.)

P. is enslaved yet thinks he can beat the habit. Shaking and sweating, hurting all over, the need controls his thinking.

A friend of mine says were all addicted to sin. Ever since Eden, we can’t get off the habit. Praise God that he can “fix” it.

4 Comments:

At 20:00, Blogger Thurman8er said...

I am just beginning to understand the enormity of the work you do. Shame on me, since I've known you for so long.

You have my prayers and the knowledge that distance can't separate us from their effectiveness or from God's love.

 
At 00:11, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Your statement..."pushers are good friends" is so true. We need to be as diligent toward people as the drug dealers are...

Blessings as you walk this road with him.

 
At 16:04, Blogger Keith Davis said...

People are looking for community and relationships. That is true of addicts as well. I pray that P. can get throgh this and come out on the other side a stronger person for it and even be able tohelp others through this. I pray God's mercy be upon you all!

 
At 17:06, Blogger cwinwc said...

Rom. 6:19
"I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlwssness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification."

We will follow, observe, or be enslaved to something, it is the nature of the human experience. Your friend's words echo the words of Paul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home