18 February 2006

Olympic Gold

What’s it like to have the Gold Medal within your grasp, the sure thing, and then lose it? What’s it like to expect the Silver (you’re 60 yards behind with 6 seconds left in the race) then see your opponent on her derriere in the snow as you glide by for the gold?

Son 2 called me on the intercom: “Switzerland’s just won the gold in the women’s snowboard-cross competition. You've got to see how it happened.” (I thought he was making the sport up.)

Caught up in the moment, the American Lindsey Jacobellis did a "grab" move on a jump near the finish and fell. The three of us from the Swiss vantage point thought she was doing her best to please the crowd when she ate it. USA Today says she was just stabilizing her board in a crosswind.

It was a crummy way to lose. But I’ve seen football players, completely alone, drop the ball before the end zone, and a grounder go between a first baseman’s legs. Not fun ways to lose. And probably not the end of the world.

Any famous mess-ups that you can remember?

FYI: The Swiss have 6 medals including the Silver in Men’s ice-skating and the Gold in women’s skeleton. Don’t you just love the Olympics?

5 Comments:

At 14:56, Blogger Candy said...

I was watching that! It was amazing. I couldn't believe she lost. It really looked like she was trying to do a fancy move and just lost it. I can't think of any famous mess-ups but that one will live in infamy. Poor Lindsey.

 
At 19:51, Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Ouch! That was a lousy break for Ms. Jacobellis. Her "air" was fairly standard; it wasn't like she blasted a backside 1080. And after hearing her post-race interview, it would be hard to imagine she is prone to showing off.

But, at least, the Americans have the most golds (as of last night)! Who would have thought we were so wintry? Not that it means a thing to me: I mean, I really want everyone else to win, too. Go Switzerland!!

Now, how may I ever forgive you for the subliminal slam of the Boston Red Sox? What "grounder" through the legs of a first baseman are you talking about? Not THAT one, are you? Ahhhhggghhh!

BTW: I believe that the Swiss women definitely deserve the gold in skeleton. I mean, Swiss women, in my experience, really have the best skeletons.

OOOOO.

BG

 
At 05:58, Blogger Beverly said...

Yep, I saw it..this is definately a character building moment for her...That will last longer than the thrill of the gold medal.

 
At 22:19, Blogger Brady said...

I don't have much to say about Swiss skeletons and BG's x-ray vision. But let me repeat, I don't think L.J. deserved to lose.

I bet you were a great ref, Greg. It takes a special breed. I wouldn't argue with you on the court. No siree.

The Swiss picked up another medal (bronze) in two-man bobbing for apples.

 
At 22:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are these olympic games of which you speak?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home