24 June 2005

Field trip

Brady said to go ahead and blog while he's away. I woke up this morning wondering what I could blog about. The answer came in the mail...

Catherine was my best friend in junior high and high school. She moved away (all the way to Morges, 15 kilometers down the lake) so we don't see much of eachother now. We talk on the phone, but only get together a few times a year. One of those times is the traditional end of the school-year field trip. Did mention that Catherine teaches 3rd and 4th grade? We took the train to a nature reserve and learned all about lizards, had a picnic by the lake, played games, then took the train back to Morges. When Catherine drove me home she expressed her disapointment that the Mom whose boy arrived at the train station that morning 15 seconds before the train left didn't bother to say she was sorry for the tardyness. I didn't realize how disapointed Cathrine was in her 3rd graders till this morning. I recieved a fat envelop of cards she had her students write to say they were sorry they hadn't come up to me after the field trip to thank me for coming and shake my hand goodbye.

Cathrine is old-school. She hopes and believes there will soon be a 180° turn in society bringing back respect and discipline. Let's pray that the 180° turn will be a return to God.

Stephanie

4 Comments:

At 15:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post Steph! Two thoughts:

1) I hope you are right.

2) You may be giving Brady a run for his blogging!

 
At 15:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's Brady?

 
At 16:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who are you?

 
At 20:04, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Hey, Stephanie!

As a high school teacher this is a big issue for me. I have to differentiate between the ways that students WILL behave in my classroom and the ways that I want them to behave all the time. I find that I can enforce good behavior inside my four walls and still get their love and respect. But when I try to do it out on the grounds they get MAD.

No doubt we've let things slip too much...in the cases of language and dress waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. But I can't be their mom and dad, especially since most of their moms and dads would just totally disagree with me about this anyway. So I hold my ground where I can, even while other teachers around me are giving ground every day. Honestly, you should hear some of the things other TEACHERS do. Oy!

Thanks for keeping up the blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home