16 May 2006

Who are you?

Are you Migros or COOP? (pronounced ME-GROW and COE – OPE). This is a real question that any Swiss resident can readily answer.

The question represents the two largest grocery store chains in Switzerland, accounting for about 80% of Swiss sales. That’s where the question comes from because, generally speaking, a family is either Migros or COOP.

Some people, like a daughter of a “friend of mine”, almost refuse to go into a COOP. Allegiances can go deep, breaking friendships, ending romances and splitting churches.

Yes, we are Migros, going to the MM just up the hill nearly every day (fridges are tiny here). M’s are small, with just the basics. MM’s are bigger (that’s why there are two M’s) with more stuff, fresh veggies, books and other necessary items. MMM’s are not Sam’s but they are huge, with electronics, sports stuff, clothing and all the rest.

Some families belong to even smaller sects, such as Migros budget. These are generic items that come in the same M-Budget wrappers, promising you lower quality at lower cost. There are now M-Budget cell phones, vacations, TP, noodles and even M-Budget parties.

4 Comments:

At 14:20, Blogger cwinwc said...

I've known people that would walk out of a restaurant if they didn't serve Pepsi and we all know how crazy that is since anyone knows that Coke is better than Pepsi.

 
At 19:39, Blogger pdb3z said...

We pledge our allegiance to Trader Joe's, although, I was informed yesterday, it "is trying to move away from the Pirate theme." Precisely why I go! My suggestion that eye patches be handed out to young children was rebuffed by a young woman with a pierced nose and lip who stated that TJ's wants to move toward "a more generic grocery store feel," whatever that is.

Once that happens I am moving to Lausanne and becoming an "associé" of the local COOP...

 
At 20:21, Blogger The Raabs said...

I remember when no one would go to an Aldi - that was just for the lower classes. Until the economy got a little worse, then everynoe was welcome. Now it is a battle between Lidl and Aldi, but the real Belgian will only go to Colruyt.

 
At 02:22, Blogger Deb said...

I love Sainsbury's because that's where I can find tins of pinto beans! BUT, the Super Tesco's sells fresh Krispy Kreme's, and when I get homesick for the US, I pop into Tesco's. I also frequent the food section of Marks and Spencer, especially of company's coming. :) My daughters give their allegiance to Asda (owned by Wal Mart).

In Suisse, I like Migros (MM).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home