14 May 2006

Curtain's up

My mom grew up going to the movies. I think they were cheap and it wasn’t a sin yet. She knows all the classics and one of my favorite youth memories is sitting together (with sis “Ducks on a pond”) in the living room watching the afternoon matinees on Summer TV. I don’t know how many times Rock Hudson faked Doris Day into loving him, got found out and dumped, then married just as Ms Day was going into delivery.

There were Bogart films and Hitchcock mysteries (which still get me), Westerns and Happy End love stories (which still don’t get me). Bing and Frank and Dean and, of course, Bob who was always on the road to somewhere. Did he ever get the girl?

Mom knows them all, which still amazes me. “I’ll take Cinema for $1000, please.”

Three things brought this to mind:

Dean Martin, Kim Novak and that guy who was My Favorite Martian were on Swiss TV just the other evening. In English, mind you. Mom, you’d have liked that one.

I saw this in yesterday’s paper, which proves it’s NOT a sin to go to the cinema.
It's by Burki,

And, obviously, it’s Mother’s Day.

Love you, Mom.

5 Comments:

At 18:24, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Ah, but Rock was really fooling ALL of us, wasn't he?

I love the old movies too, but my wife is too young to appreciate them. I'm a huge fan of the road movies with Bing and Bob. A buddy of mine and I once got in trouble for using "pattycake" on a kid we didn't like.

Hitchcock is still the master.

 
At 19:23, Blogger cwinwc said...

Cool picture. Which one is Judas? Shouldn't he be the one hiding his bag of pop-corn?

 
At 20:14, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I'm surprised you had time to watch movies with Mom. I thought Dad always had you out gardening or mowing lawns or something!

 
At 00:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brady, for the nice blog about me. I did do other things besides watch old movies, but those were the special times that I remember, also. Not too long ago, Bridget, Brooke and I watched Easter Parade with Judy Garland and Fred Astaire. The girls decided that neither one of them was very pretty, but they sure could dance and sing. I love you, too.

 
At 10:55, Blogger Deb said...

Thanks so much for this post, Brady. One of the sweetest memories I have of Mother are the fun times when she would let her hair down and get us together to watch and enthuse over old movies. Being with her when she would get misty-eyed over Clark Gable (he reminded us of Granddaddy) and James Garner (he reminded us of Dad), and laughing out loud with her were always magical moments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home