08 May 2006

The risk in loving

J.P. is a neighbor and retired pastor for the Reformed Evangelical Protestant Church in the Canton of Vaud (a mouthful). We first met on one of his walks around the neighborhood.

He has a thousand stories and I’m on story 1113. (He repeats himself a bit.) One of his favorite questions: Do you know the two adjectives that characterize someone from our canton? Then he slowly answers: “Careful” and “careful”.

Careful. I am amazed how hard it is to build deep and fulfilling relationships with people, even brothers and sisters in Christ. Many are those who do not wish to take risks in loving sincerely, loving someone who may, eventually, break your heart.

All this was brought to mind recently when one of our members became very disappointed with the church and, when asked why she had left, had a ready list of faults and mistakes that many of us had committed.

One of ladies at church took it right in the chopper. “Who needs this?”, she asked. “I can do without it. Why should I take the risk of loving only to get it thrown back into my face?”

Yet great love takes great risks. I’m reminded of the words of Bonhoeffer:
God desires to lead us to a knowledge of genuine Christian fellowship, so surely must we be overwhelmed by a great disillusionment with others, with Christians in general, and, if we are fortunate, with ourselves.
It’s the price we pay if we’re going to love.

5 Comments:

At 19:59, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Such negative creatures we humans are. We take such great offense when love doesn't pay off, yet we take for granted all the times it does.

 
At 20:14, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

thanks, Brady. I needed that! :)

 
At 14:02, Blogger Deb said...

Sometimes in ministry we hang such high expectations on others. When we get it thrown back at us, it can be a shock to the system.

I know the term 'loving unconditionally' gets overused, but the 'unconditional' part is such a difficult and risky concept for so many.

Those of us who diligently work at the 'unconditional' become exceedingly more vulnerable. Disappointment is such a bitter enemy.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 14:50, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm certainly a member of the "Christians Who Have Been Burned Club." I have had times when I wanted to write "people off."

But in light of God's mercy he (Rom. 12) he has shown me, I try to show others the same. Sometimes it's difficult. Thank God he doesn't have that same problem with me even when I'm unmerciful.

 
At 22:53, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks for the insightful and prayerful comments. And the prayers, tout court.

I know you are looking to love, to take risks, to get up and go on. It's really the only thing we can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home