02 November 2005

The table

Wife’s father enjoyed a good symbol. He helped me appreciate them more, even though I grew up in an assembly that has a huge rock mosaic called “the fountain of life” towering in the front of the sanctuary-church-worship hall-auditorium. Big symbol.

And I think, within certain limits, being attentive and respectful to what is communicated through symbols is healthy for the church. Reformed Church pulpits were BIG and placed in the center of the churches. They visibly demonstrated their attachment to the Word of God. The altar is the center of Catholic cathedrals, making visible the need of an intercessor (or intercessors) between people and God. (But just give me Jesus). Then some churches have a stage as the focal point of the sanctuary, and some of us just might miss the “symbols”.

Back to Wife’s father. Years before we came to Lausanne, he purchased the table below for the church.He said it was Jesus’ first table: a carpenter’s bench. He’d seen a picture of a church in Nazareth with one, so he bought it for the Lausanne church. Now he’s gone, but the table’s still there.

And Jesus is still at work.

4 Comments:

At 16:25, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Now THAT is a beautiful table.

I have no problem with symbols as long as teaching goes hand-in-hand with them. The first time I see attachment to the symbol for the symbol's sake, I want to chop it up.

But I tend to be a bit extreme.

And that IS a big, beautiful symbol of life in the front of our auditorium, isn't it? Funny thing is, it never makes me think of Jesus...just Mansel Willet.

 
At 16:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth always thinks of helping glue the tiles on the big symbol.

The table is awesome. That is the table of a carpenter! (parody from Indiana Jones)

 
At 17:42, Blogger cwinwc said...

"Parody on (gin rummy)deck" -
Randy has blogged wisely.

That table is a beautiful example of your father-in-law's love for you, your ministry, your wife, and for the Lord.

I agree with Steve - I think symbols can be a good thing as long as they don't violate the "form over function" rule.

One of my favorite sports symbols used to be the hanging banners in the old Boston Garden. There is a picture of Larry Bird looking up at the banners before a Celtic game. Everyone assumed that he was looking at all the championship banners of the Celtics. He later disclosed that he was look at Bobby Hull's retired Jersey number. Even though Hull played hockey Bird said it inspired him to play to hard.

When we worshipped at Rockledge we had hanging banners for each year. I always looked at the two banners that contained the banner items marking the passing my my dad and then my mom.
ifzem (first word in CoC slogan - "ifzem, whyzem?")

 
At 20:57, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm amazed at myself for showing such restraint about the "Hick from French Lick."
I may have to do my next post about "Lar-ree."
Greg has tied my record. Has anybody gone over 3 times?
fhhqyirh (neighboring city to xniqxjha)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home