06 November 2005

Dr. Olbricht

Yesterday morning Wife and I picked up Dr. Olbricht, one of our professors from ACU days, at the Geneva airport. He was in good shape after 3 flights and a night spent in London’s Heathrow Airport waiting room. He’s come to give a 10 hour seminar on Colossians in Marseille and then teach in Stuttgart, Germany.

The Lausanne church was blessed by listening to him teach this morning. His text was from Luke 24 since we have been dealing with the Lord’s Supper these last few weeks. He just made two points as we sat around the table: That any correct hermeneutic of the Bible must make our hearts burn and that our communion together recognizes the body of Christ in his death and resurrection, but also in his Church.

Let me add two things: 1. Several of the people had tears in their eyes during the sermon; 2. Dr. Olbricht’s voice would often break when talking of Jesus and when speaking of the Body of Christ (us!).

I certainly hope that my heart will become more tender as the years go by, and that the word of Christ will burn in my heart even more as I grow older, much like Dr. Olbricht.

4 Comments:

At 15:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have fond memories of my time as a student of Dr. Olbricht's. I was encouraged this morning to read of your time together.

If you see him again please tell him hello and olranuq

 
At 17:36, Blogger Thurman8er said...

There's this guy at my church who cries almost every time he speaks. Sometimes people make fun of him. But if you pay attention and listen carefully, you will notice that it only happens when he is talking about things of primary importance to him. It happens when he talks about people he loves, when he talks about the church, and when he talks about Jesus. Almost always when he talks about Jesus.

I've learned a lot from that man.

 
At 18:56, Blogger cwinwc said...

I wish I was as passionate about my walk with the Lord. I'm always reminded of passion and priorities when I attend a professional sporting even like the Jaguars game this past weekend. I can't help but ask myself what if I had the same kind of passion for Jesus that these 80,000 people have for each down of a football game? What a difference I could make in this world.
osqfhx (ancient form of Rush Limbaugh's favorite drug)
dbunx (What happens to my word verification pun when I have to do it twice)

 
At 23:11, Blogger Keith Davis said...

God's Spirit moving upon people is a mystery, especially to many of us who grew up without teaching on this. I suspect that people with a "tender" heart are people most closely related to God and His Spirit. The ease of crying in spiritual situations or seeing God in situations in life and weeping is a strength, not a weakness. Praise God for your experience.

wpogt (What one does to a misbehaving goat!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home