28 August 2005

Mountain top

The mountain cabin “Panossiere” is tucked in at 2650 meters on the edge of a glacier that curls by to the south. The start of the ice flow is at the base of the Grand Combin, a mountain that towers above the surrounding peaks at 4,314 meters (14.154 feet). It is covered with snow because of the recent storms. We actually saw an avalanche tear open the side of the mountain as we were crossing a nearby pass.

Hiking is not a sadistic work-out, though certain readers of this here blog might think so. It is true that you pay 20-odd dollars to sleep on a bed shared with 12 others, (often strangers, often snorers) lined up like sardines in the tin. It is also true that the evening meal (ham, rice, soup, Chinese veggies and fruit salad) can set you back 25 dollars. And the night’s sleep (without sweet-dream medication) is interrupted by snorts from a neighbor and trips to the toilette for the small-of-bladder… But the view. Ah! The view.

My colleague from Geneva asked the Bible-study group whether it was easier to worship God in the mountains or the city. After a long hesitation someone chose to reply in a soft whisper: Why, it really doesn’t matter, does it?

And I thought to myself: That sister needs to get her rear to the mountains.

3 Comments:

At 17:14, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Well...it DOESN'T matter.

And yet. I can't HELP but worship God when I'm faced with an amazing sky. Or round that familiar corner and see the ocean spread out in front of me. Or, yes, take a walk through the trees in what passes for mountains around these parts. So I think I see your point.

By the way, Brady, thanks so much for your comments from a week or so ago. My frustrations get the better of me sometimes. I'm no less frustrated now, but I'm more mindful of the friends I have.

 
At 18:45, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

A sadistic work-out? I wouldn't go quite that far.

It is so good to be able to worship God anywhere, but always wonderful to be reminded of the scope of His power and imagination through nature.

 
At 01:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the song "Have You Seen Jesus My Lord" but I have to tell you sitting out on the sand and watching the surf and hearing the pounding waves makes God somewhat nearer.

There is something to being immersed in God's handiwork which draws us closer to him. Call it appreciation call it worship, it's always about the view!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home