08 June 2006

Concert

Happy Birthday, MEW!!!
--
The Harding University Chorus gave a wonderful concert last night in Geneva, just across the way from where the Geneva Church meets. Boy, can those guys/gals sing. Even though sore throats and coughs had sidelined about 15% of the group, the sound was good and the classics, the hymns and the spirituals very powerful. I even enjoyed “O Happy Day” though I’m getting Happy Day overload. (I know, I know. Need some time off.)

They also sang “My God is a Rock in a Weary Land”, “I Couldn’t Hear Nobody Pray” and “My Soul’s been Anchored in the Lord”, which seems to prove, again, that deep faith grows out of deep suffering.

Although I’ve heard the song a thousand times, “The Lord Bless you and Keep you” is still moving, still beautiful, and a wonderful blessing with which to end an evening. Visitors and Christians went home with that song in their hearts.

“Good music penetrates the ear with facility and quits the memory with difficulty” (Thomas Beecham).

1 Comments:

At 10:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I went down to the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear a robe and crown
Dear Lord, show me the way

O sinners let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
O sinners let's go down
Down to the river to pray

I heard the Chorus on Monday here in Zurich, and they really left some of their songs with me. The concert was held in Kirche Oberstrass, a large building made of stone (shy of a temple though). Oh, the acoustics! And the concert was well attended by lots of guests -- even one of our neighbors finally came to a church-related event.

Brady, it was very good to be in Lausanne again and visit you all. May the Lord give you strength and continue to renew your heart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home